The 11 preserves owned by NSWS all have unique characteristics and a variety of animals and plants. Two properties (Shu Swamp, Coffin Woods) have ample parking and are open every day except Friday from dawn to dusk. Please be aware of the rules in each preserve. It is necessary to contact the Warden, Tom Hornosky, for appointments regarding visits to the other properties.
Please note that these properties are preserves for the protection of plants and animals. They are not parks to be used for the recreation activities of people. The specific rules for visiting the properties vary but NSWS expects that visitors will respect the posted signage at each property.
- No wheeled or motorized vehicles (bicycles, off-road vehicles, etc.)
- No running/jogging, swimming, fishing, picnicking, hunting, trapping, dumping.
- No alcohol, smoking, drugs, littering.
- No removal of species of any kind.
- No pets in Shu Swamp at any time. This is a sensitive wetland and nesting environment.
- Pets are permitted in Coffin Woods and Pennoyer Woods with prior permission of Warden. These woods are heavily infested with tics, fleas, and mosquitoes. All pets must be under control and not create any disturbance for other visitors. Please clean up after your pet.
- No drones or movie filming without prior permission of Warden.
- No loud noise or music.
- Please stay on trails and observe posted notices.
- Groups of more than 8 are asked to contact Warden prior to visiting any of the properties.